Hi,

We're on the same direction. The fix I checked in is to engage rampart based on the presence of the WS-Security related intents and policySets.

From: "Mike Edwards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 3:42 AM
To: <tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org>
Subject: Re: How can we turn on/off Rampart conditionally for binding.ws over Axis2?

Raymond Feng wrote:
Is there a way to tell if WS-Security is required for a WS binding? I guess we need to dig into the policy stuff. We then probably need to pass a flag down to the TuscanyAxisConfigurator so that it can decide if rampart should be activated.

Strictly speaking, the way to tell if WS-Security is required means looking into the PolicySet(s) that apply to the (WS) binding and determining if any of the policies which apply are WS-Security policies.

It would be nice to think that all you need to do is to look at the intents marked on the reference and binding (say) but unfortunately, the deployers and policy experts can decide that they want security applied even if the intents don't call for it. So the runtime has to worry about the concrete policies.

Strictly, this means that the binding code has to decide which policies it is prepared to deal with and once it sees some set of those policies chosen for a given binding, then it must decide which bindimg implementation code must be brought to bear in order to provide those policies.

Yours, Mike.