Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:

I'd like to discuss the following: "What distro Zips are we building and what do they contain?"

I think we could improve our distro scheme to provide:
- smaller packages
- easier for people to find what they need

I was thinking about the following binary distro zips:

- tuscany-core.zip - The base that everybody needs.
  core assembly model and runtime
  Java APIs, Java components

- tuscany-web.zip - For WS and Web developers
  WS binding, Web 2.0 bindings, Scripting components, Widget components

- tuscany-jee.zip - For JEE app integration
  EJB, RMI and JMS bindings, Spring components

- tuscany-process.zip - For process development
  BPEL and XQuery components

- tuscany-all.zip - all of the above

Note that I'm not trying to tackle release cycles and the potential for releasing the above zips independently in this discussion and I'm assuming that we release all of the above together.

I'm also assuming that the relevant samples are included in each zip.

This email was from 1/22/08, generated a lot of discussion for about 3 weeks, lots of opinions, no conclusion, no commits :)

I still think the same as what I had posted then, plus additional ideas:

- Use OSGi exports/imports to export clean SPIs, hide internals, and refine the contents of the distros and their dependencies.

Disclaimer - Please don't get me wrong I'm not saying that one distro == one OSGi bundle, as I've already said several times on the list that the big-OSGi-bundle approach didn't make sense to me :) I just think that declaring and enforcing clean dependencies using OSGi will help us refine the contents of each distro.

- Instead of a tuscany-manifest JAR or tuscany-all JAR, use an extension registry mechanism (what we have now in Tuscany or better a combination of what we have now and the Eclipse Equinox registry for example) to detect which pieces are installed and activate their capabilities.

Are people interested in exploring these ideas?