I should have added that there is a work around already suggested by Nishant
- just move the .composite files out of the classes folder, eg to the
meta-inf folder next to the sca-contribution.xml works fine. And having the
.composite files in the meta-inf folder works fine in Tomcat too.  Anyone
know why all the Tuscany samples put the .composite files where they do?

   ...ant