Simon Laws wrote:
On 10/17/07, Raymond Feng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I collected all the input we have so far at the following WIKI page:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Roadmap+Discussion

Thanks for doing that!

Coincidentally there's a recent news article related to the worthwhileness
of these types of lists over on INFOQ:
http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/10/product-backlogs-wasteful

We did try having the "wishlist" jira version but it never really ended up
being used very much.

   ...ant
[snip]

Thanks for the ref ant. Very interesting. In our case the list we have
generated is very much a list of "features desired but not yet
implemented".I wasn't suggesting we take the next step and analyse them all
in detail though, just that we don't loose these thoughts in case someone
decides that they would like to do the analysis in the future.

I think this thread is equating the act of creating a "Roadmap" with
identifying the ideas that the currently active community agree will add
real value to Tuscany SCA and it's users.  I'm keen though that we don't
create an immutable  plan/roadmap and that we have plenty of ideas hanging
around that may encourage those not currently contributing to do so. I see
the danger of a stated roadmap is that it gives the impression that that is
what is going to happen, that all the items are being worked on and
encourages people to sit back and wait for features to arrive.

Re. the "wish" JIRA type. maybe now is the time. The wiki page is  a long
list already. Wish list items don't require much management, they may hang
around for a long time but they provide inspiration to newcomers and to the
active community when we inevitably repeat this exercise.

Regards

Simon

How about trying to understand the use cases for that Wiki page and/or JIRA list? Here are a few:

A) I just found out about SCA and Tuscany. I want to know what it does now and what it'll do in the future.

B) I'm using Tuscany. I want to know what features will be provided, short, middle and long term.

C) I'd like to contribute to Tuscany. Who's working on what and are there any interesting areas that I could jump into?

more thoughts?

Here are some roadmaps that I found worthwhile and useful as a lurker, user, and potential contributor. There are some good organization + format ideas in these roadmaps:

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/roadmap.html
[2] http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/roadmap-for-21.html
[3] http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-what-folks-are-working-on.html
[4] http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis2/post-1%2e3-plans
[5] http://ode.apache.org/roadmap.html
[6] http://subversion.tigris.org/roadmap.html

Going back to the use cases: IMO a roadmap like [3] answers question (C), and questions (A) and (B) too... as seeing people names and the releases that they target shows that the listed features are not just wishes or vaporware.

Hope this helps.

--
Jean-Sebastien