From: Simon Laws [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 21 April 2008 16:03
To: tuscany-user@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: Query: invocation-time access to reference policies

Hi Steve, some comments in line

Simon

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Steve Chamberlain <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Could someone please give me a clue about invocation-time access to
the
> policies resulting from Intents and/or PolicySets attached to a custom
> reference binding?

When you say "invocation-time" access do you mean you need to access
this
information from a component implementation or are you trying to get at
it
from a new extension implementation.

If the latter then you should be able to get at the resolved policy
information using the binding object in question, for example, the SCA
binding is defined as follows

public class SCABindingImpl implements SCABinding, Extensible,
PolicySetAttachPoint, OptimizableBinding {
      public List<PolicySet> getPolicySets() {
        return policySets;
     }
}

Once the model has gone through the composite build phase you can get
the
computed policysets for a binding directly.

If the former then there is currently no API to get at information in
the
underlying model from the component implementation.

> For implementation policies, I observe that the runtime sets up a
> PolicyHandlingInterceptor in the invoker chain, which invokes relevant
> PolicyHandlers (e.g. the JaasAuthenticationPolicyHandler) before and
> after.  But this model does not appear to apply to policies on
> references or bindings: applying the JAAS policy to a reference or
> binding appears to fail.  The WS binding does not seem to include
> anything equivalent to the policy handler, and how the
> helloworld-ws-secure sample actually implements the computed policies
is
> so far a mystery to me.

Yes,  I notice that there are several models that are used for enacting
policy depending on how the policy is implemented. It's also not clear
in my
mind what dictates which policies can be applied where. I'm assuming
someone
is going to jump in here and share that information but I'll dig into it
too
as I'm interested to know the ins and outs of this.