On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 08:23, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 05:56:46PM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > The big problems I saw were:
> >
> > 1. high mouse pressure
> > 2. mouse rotation instead of sideways movement
> > 3. accidental mouse rotation
>
> Have the results so far been mostly frustration, or do you think it's
> helping them get used to the mouse & learn how to use it?

That depends what you mean by "learn".

He's a bright kid. He pretty much already knew how to use
the mouse from observation. The only bit of cluelessness
was what appeared to be an initial expectation that rotation
would do something.

Larger buttons on the screen wouldn't help, unless they were
about 200 pixels wide. He could handle things just fine I
think if he'd reduce the pressure and keep the mouse pointed
in the right direction.

The mouse isn't natural. Rotation isn't sensed, but it has
an effect on the response to movement. A digitizer tablet
would not be messed up by a sideways puck (mouse-like object).

If rotation were sensed, and the mouse cursor responded
with the appropriate rotation, there would be the feedback
needed to fix the mouse orientation.

BTW, I forgot one additional problem, seen a few months
prior. (I gave up back then) He initially kept wanting to
look at the mouse instead of the screen.

> > (the 5-year-old knows the scroll wheel is broken in
> > the "Open" dialog)
>
> Hrm, we need to fix that.

It can wait; the whole dialog could use some work.

How do you feel about getting rid of the buttons?
Then the behavior is:

a. click on thumbnail to load an image
b. click on a tool to leave the dialog without loading
c. something hidden, like shift-click, to delete

I think that would be easier for loading images, and
safer against accidental deletion.