On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 12:18, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> Albert Cahalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in

> Making changes (inconsistent with other programs) to the way
> programs work to make them 'easier for kids to use' will
> mostly only be counter-productive.

I agree with this, but I don't see Tux Paint as being
severely different for other programs.

The biggest differences are the use of color to indicate
button state and the lack of filesystem access.

> For example, I really don't like that right-clicking works the
> same as left-clicking in Tux Paint.

Hey, it's that way for ALL of MacOS X, no matter if
you're a kid with Tux Paint or an adult with a spreadsheet.
This is even without the normal physical mouse limitation.

> This may lead kids to get
> used to right-clicking, and get very frustrated when right-
> clicking doesn't work that way in other programs (or games). Then
> they'll have to unlearn to right-click and learn to left-click.
> This 'feature' is really doing kids a disservice.

It's an Apple conspiracy.

> > As a less-expensive alternative, a trackball might
> > work OK.
>
> Unfortunately not. Trackballs are generally much to large for
> kids' hands.

Even a 4-inch ball should work.