Adding another user fails too.
its related to the GUI Desktop loader

i get this error directly:

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to
/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
/usr/bin/xmodmap:  unable to open file '/usr/share/apps/kxkb/ubuntu.xmodmap'
for reading
/usr/bin/xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.
mkdtemp: private socket dir: Permission denied

on .xsession-errors file, when I do a valid login from the GUI login screen.

Maybe this would give you the proper hint. I sent the error log attached to
Tanjir and RJ as Mailing list dont support attached files.

Use FreeOpenSourceSoftwares, Stop piracy, Let the developers live. Get
a Free CD of Ubuntu mailed to your door without any cost. Visit :
www.ubuntu.com