At UDS I was asked to look into which boost packages we should target for
Karmic.  Currently we have boost (1.34), boost1.35, boost1.37, boost1.38, and
boost-defaults in Karmic.

For Main, the boost version for Karmic will be boost1.38.  It's been promoted
to main and updating has already started.  Boost1.38 is also Debian's target
boost for squeeze and so this should be the last boost transition until after
Squeeze releases.

Debian is transitioning to an unversioned libboost-dev package provided by
boost-defaults.  We need to have this version for packages we sync from
Debian, but in Ubuntu packages are preferred not to build depend on it.  The
default version set by this package is 1.38.

libboost-dev is provided by boost (1.34) and boost-defaults (1.38.1).  The
archive version of the binary is 1.38.1.  This means that packages that depend
on the old (1.34) version of libboost-dev will likely fail to build.

In Universe/Multiverse, the goal is to transition all packages to 1.38
(preferably) or alternately 1.37.

Debian has already removed 1.35 from Unstable.  We should remove boost (1.34)
and boost1.35 during Karmic and it would de good to get 1.37 removed

Scott K