People often call me a bear,
   While up in the tree I haven’t a care,
   Eating the leaves of the Eucalyptus tree,
   All the while feeling so free,
   When born, but the size of a hummingbird.

   -- Nate Robert Groschen

Welcome to Karmic Koala Alpha 1, which will in time become Ubuntu
9.10.

Pre-releases of Karmic are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable
system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even
frequent breakage. They are, however, recommended for Ubuntu developers
and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.

Alpha 1 is the first in a series of milestone CD images that will be
released throughout the Karmic development cycle. The Alpha images are
known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD build or installer bugs,
while representing a very recent snapshot of Karmic. You can download it
here:

  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/alpha-1/ (Ubuntu)
  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/karmic/alpha-1/ (Kubuntu)
  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/karmic/alpha-1/ (Xubuntu)

See http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mirrors for a list of mirrors.

The primary changes from Jaunty have been the re-merging of changes
from Debian, updating to the current Linux kernel, and updating GNOME
to the current development release. There are also some infrastructure
changes for power management and the Intel video driver. Please see
the technical notes for details:

  http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/alpha1

Please note that the desktop CD isn't ready yet. This release consists only of
the alternate and server CDs; the desktop CD will follow in the next Alpha
release.

If you're interested in following the changes as we further develop
Karmic, have a look at the karmic-changes mailing list:

We also suggest that you subscribe to the ubuntu-devel-announce list if
you're interested in following Ubuntu development. This is a low-traffic
list (a few posts a week) carrying announcements of approved
specifications, policy changes, alpha releases, and other interesting
events.

Bug reports should be reported as described on

  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Enjoy,

Martin Pitt
On behalf of the Ubuntu release team