Stephan Hermann wrote the following on 27.05.2007 11:08

since my mail to devel got stock at the listmaster i resend here.
(pls note i have added an other important link)

> > Well, we can leave xmms in universe for at least one release cycle
> > (reads: Gutsy still have it in universe), and gutsy+1 won't have it
> > anymore.
> >
> > I think we have a bright choice of media players right now (rythmbox,
> > amarok to name only the two big ones for ubuntu and kubuntu).

> > Agreed and second.
> >
> > Regards,
> > \sh

even Gentoo has purged xmms from their tree (i think half year ago).
But when we decide to go for removing xmms we probably want to make a
corresponding announce via UWN in advance to prepare users for it.

http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20061030-newsletter.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/sound/xmms.xml

http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/seemant/2006/10/27/on_masking_popular_packages_xmms

otherwise you will get many bugreports for it - promised.

bye Thilo
--
i am on Ubuntu 2.6 KDE
- some friend of mine