The main roadblock in my mind is that few people use LVM as the main installer
doesn't support it.

Also, I have no idea how sane this idea is in terms of the abilities of ext3.
It's an interesting solution but probably too insane to ship in a distro.

Something like autofsck is easier/less risky to implement. Since ext3 has a
fsck-on-boot-if-dirty flag, we also have to deal with some sort of usplash
hook for fscking during bootup too.