Onno Benschop wrote:
> I am subscribed to the list, there is no need to send this to me directly.

Fair enough.  I will remove you for now, but if you wish to not get such
replies regularly, you should set your Reply-To: header to point to the
mailing list.

> I have personal experience where "a modern journalling file system"
> (ext3) does *not* maintain integrity. I have now had three cases where
> the journal corrupted for no particular reason, causing the kernel to
> remount my drive read-only. A read-only and non-destructive read-write
> test failed to uncover any problems.
>
> My point was, and it still stands, "theoretically a file-system
> maintains its integrity, in practice it cannot".
>
> fsck is the tool that catches the difference between theory and practice.

It sounds like in your case it was the running kernel that noticed the
problem ( which in all likelihood was simply an IO error that happened
while the kernel tried to update the journal ), not the auto fsck at 30
mounts.  In any case, such errors occur only for the VAST minority of
users, so why should everyone be penalized?