hi,
On Fr, 2008-09-12 at 09:23 +0200, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> You have 25-35 seconds from GRUB till desktop appearing (using autologin)?

i have managed 22 already with a not to drastic set of modifications (19
after grub [1] plus the three second grub timeout) with the ten seconds
my BIOS takes that even stays below 35 for the complete boot process
from hitting power button to see gdm. (the mem=256M you see in the
kernel options is there from a different test, it doesnt influence
bootspeed)
note that this was after using the profile bootoption for readahed
though.

for jaunty i would like to propose to install bootchart by default
during the development cycle with an optional upload function to a
central database (with a first login question "do you want to
participate in the boot profiling project and upload your logged boot
data to a central db" or some such). that should enable us to identify
the slowdowns ...

while preload and friends are surely nicely speeding up i think we still
have to do our homework first and get the existing stuff into a
reasonable shape, you can get to a default of 25-35sec for a generic
boot.

ciao
        oli

[1] http://people.ubuntu.com/~ogra/hardy-20080523-1.png