The Upstart event-driven bootup doesn't really have the notion of progress,
unlike the old SysV Init script bootup. It's hard to provide a linear measure
of progress...

The same thing happened in OS X -- in 10.4 they introduced a parallelized init
daemon and the "progress" bar was just a simple timer (counting to how long it
took the LAST time to boot up), and in 10.5+ they just got rid of it altogether.

The same can be said about Windows and their parallelized startup control
mechanism.