On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 05:02:32PM +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> The critical difference is that this is not a separate and standalone
> utility...

Yet this is the justification you're using as to why an SRU will be
safe.

It seems to me that it's perfectly possible for you to arrange a build
of a static binary in a PPA, and use that to solve your problem.

You are also implying that the binary will not need to change again, so
there's basically no technical debt there as far as I can tell, contrary
to your previous claim. Especially as you're upstream for it too, so
it's not like that's going to end up "behind" for security any more than
the official Ubuntu repository that would depend on you anyway.

If you don't want to ship a single binary in a PPA, then that's up to
you. But you can't justify your request on the basis of your inability
to do that, when actually it's simply your refusal to do that at the
cost of additional risk to Ubuntu users.