> > The difference is that here it's the upstream maintainers asking
> for
> > this, not just users. From our point of view, not including repart
> in
> > Jammy was an oversight - there was really no reason to keep it
> > disabled, other than we noticed and asked for it too late, and we
> > should have asked for it sooner.
> > Not being able to rely on repart because it's absent from Jammy
> means
> > we have to accrue significant and expensive technical debt in
> mkosi,
> > that is making everything very fragile, so at some point we might
> just
> > have to cut our losses and leave Jammy unsupported - which would
> cause
> > a lot of friction and grief, given it will be popular and widely
> used
> > for many years among developers, so we are trying hard to avoid
> that if
> > possible.
>
> This doesn't make sense to me.
>
> You're missing a (in fact, your own) binary CLI tool in Jammy. And
> presumably you think the tool is mature enough that you will not need
> change the binary CLI tool again, since you're asking for a one-off
> SRU
> for it.
>
> That's all, right? So build it once, put it in a PPA, adjust your
> tooling to use it, and you're done. Where's the "significant and
> expensive technical debt"?
>
> I still fail to see how situation is any different to any other
> developer having dependencies that aren't in the archive.

The critical difference is that this is not a separate and standalone
utility, it is part of the systemd software suite and it is built and
maintained together with all other packages (including using the
common and shared libsystemd-shared.so). It is not going to be split
out and developed and maintained separately, that is never going to
happen, it's always going to be part of the same repository and always
going to use the common libsystemd-shared.so just like for everything
else that ships from the src:systemd repository.

So no, we cannot "build it once and put in a PPA", it would be the
entire systemd suite that goes in a PPA and gets installed and ran,
and again that is a terrible idea for obvious reasons.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi