On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 22:15 -0400, Andrew SB wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Robbie Williamson <rob...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 22:19 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks Robbie - that looks better from a documentation team point of view.
> >>
> >> A couple of quick minor comments on a quick read of the schedule:
> >>
> >> 1. I'd say that the artwork deadlines are wrong. Currently the final
> >> artwork deadline comes after the DocumentationStringFreeze, which
> >> means that the desktop could in theory change at a time when it isn't
> >> possible to update screenshots. That isn't a problem for the
> >> documentation team at the moment, because we don't use screenshots in
> >> the desktop documentation. Really artwork is covered by the current
> >> definition of UserInterfaceFreeze
> >> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserInterfaceFreeze) so it would probably be
> >> helpful to get this clarified. I think it was intentional that artwork
> >> be covered by the UI Freeze
> >> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperReleaseProcess).
> >
> > To be honest, I questioned the need for these deadlines in the Karmic
> > cycle at all.  Until Karmic, there was no definition of these
> > terms...just words in the schedule, so I tried to define them as best as
> > I could :/.  After reading the definition of UserInterfaceFreeze
> > (again), I agree it needs to be clarified. I went to the Ubuntu Artwork
> > page [1], and I believe these deadlines are for artwork that is packaged
> > and made available as *Community-maintained* software (i.e. in
> > universe). I've updated the definitions to make this clearer
> > (hopefully), and de-emphasized the drops (i.e., moved them to the
> > left-most column) since they aren't as critical to the release schedule
> > as the deadlines & freezes, IMO.
> >
> > [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork
> >

> I've also wondered about the usefulness of these deadlines. They've
> felt very undefined in the past, especially the Artwork Deadline. That
> aside, I can certainly tell you that the community artwork team didn't
> define the
> ArtworkFirstDrop [0],  ArtworkSecondDrop [1], and ArtworkDeadline [2]
> schedule. They have existed for quite some time. At the end of the
> Jaunty cycle when we created the present selection process for themes
> in the "community-themes" package. [3] We choose to use those
> pre-existing deadlines in order to mirror the "official" artwork
> deadlines.
>
> If we are indeed the only people using those, I would suggest removing
> them from the release schedule all together. The official artwork
> didn't follow this schedual at all during Karmic. As it stands now, it
> simply seems to cause confusion. Just read all the disappointment on
> the forums when an "Artwork Drop" passes with no changes to the
> official theme.
Works for me! :)  I wanted to drop them, but as you can see, changes to
the schedule always come with a "price" ;).

-Robbie

--
Robbie Williamson                      twitter/identi.ca: undacuvabrutha
Ubuntu Foundations & Security Team Manager     robbiew[irc.freenode.net]

"You can't be lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday"
 -Mos Def

"Arrogance is thinking you are better than everyone else, while
Confidence is knowing no one else is better than you." -Me ;)