I have the same bug with a Criminal+ mouse in karmic and debian.
I have another (old) mouse which isn't affected.

I didn't have any bug in Jaunty

I have another bug, I think it is linked : when I move the mouse, with
several sensibilities, the cursor get back to the bottom right corner. I
describer this here :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libsdl1.2/+bug/435729/comments/5

export SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0 seems to completely fix the problem (on
debian, didn't try in Karmic)

--
[MASTER] Mouse jumps to bottom corner on click in fullscreen games. New mouses
(A4Tech). Related to DGA / DGAMOUSE in SDL.