Hi,

eh, I simply can't resist throw in something to this discussion :)

Attached is a glue-makefile for busybox.

Previously, a glue-makefile had -build,-clean,-romfs additions.
That means that in toplevel, snapgear, you could do like:

make busybox-build - for test building a single app
make busybox-romfs - for test installing a single app
make busybox-clean - for cleaning a single app

For a menuconfig based package, like busybox, I've added -menuconfig.
Thus, you can also do:

make busybox-menuconfig

The config file is transported both into package and vendor directory.

Ultimately I would like to see that the snapgear/uclinux config environment
doesn't build up a copy of for example busybox menuconfig. This makes
it so much harder to upgrade the package. And, it doesn't scale very well
to add possibly other menuconfig based packages into snapgear/config/config.in.

So if you guys are going to change config anyway, perhaps a scheme similar
to this can be taken into consideration?

Just some thoughts.... ;)

Gavin Lambert wrote:
Quoth Greg Ungerer [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
Speaking of which, wouldn't it be nice to change the 2.4 style
uClinux config to a 2.6/Kconfig style config?
It would be very nice.

Any volunteers?

I would but I'm still way back on 20041215, so it probably wouldn't help
much ;)

# Glue Makefile for busybox
#
# Author: Per Hallsmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
#

PKG=busybox-1.5.0

-include $(CONFIG_CONFIG)

CFGFILE=../../vendors/$(CONFIG_VENDOR)/$(CONFIG_PRODUCT)/$(CONFIG_SUBPROD)/config.$(PKG)

all: build

$(PKG).tar.bz2:
        wget http://busybox.net/downloads/$(PKG).tar.bz2

$(PKG)/Makefile: $(PKG).tar.bz2
        tar jxf $(PKG).tar.bz2
        touch $(PKG)/Makefile

$(PKG)/.config: $(CFGFILE)
        cp $(CFGFILE) $(PKG)/.config
        $(MAKE) -C $(PKG) oldconfig

menuconfig: $(PKG)/Makefile
        cp $(CFGFILE) $(PKG)/.config || true
        $(MAKE) -C $(PKG) menuconfig
        @echo "Updating $(CONFIG_VENDOR)/$(CONFIG_PRODUCT) with new $(PKG)
config"
        cp $(PKG)/.config $(CFGFILE)

build: $(PKG)/Makefile $(PKG)/.config
        echo $(PATH)
        $(MAKE) -C $(PKG)

romfs:
        $(MAKE) -C $(PKG) CONFIG_PREFIX=$(ROMFSDIR) install
        chmod 4755 $(ROMFSDIR)/bin/busybox

clean:
        $(MAKE) -C $(PKG) clean