Museveni told Parliament on September 8, 2003 that he listened in on a conversion between Ogwal and a rebel commander of the Lord’s Resistance Army.

Mr Geofrey Ekanya (Tororo) named MTN in The Monitor story of March 25 2004 as a company responsible for tapping legislatures’ telephone conversations and turns the information to Security agencies.

The spokesperson for the telecommunication company, Mr Philip Besimiire, denied the allegations saying that the company does not have the technique. He did not talk about the legalities, but only cited the capabilities. What if they had the technique?

True or not, MTN subscribers might opt for services of other companies.  No one wants a police state.  This could as well compromise the security of the nation if a foreign owned company could have the technique to listen in telephone conversations made by our head of state or other leaders in the country.

  • MTN subscribers should take the allegations seriously and demand a full investigation of the act or boycott the services of MTN.

  • Parliament must act now and review laws that govern our telecommunication industry to severely punish those who evade our privacy with such impunity.

---