Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

Hagen Muench <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

This would really be nice. One time, we tried out to boot from memory
stick. We didn't solved this problem yet.

I have read you need a fairly sophisticated BIOS, and that such BIOSes are often buggy. But it would be fun to try just the same.

O yes, I remeber this when we started the project using a dos disk with emm and USB floppy drives...

| With all the possible network and hard disk drivers, I think it is
| important for any Linux-based approach to use a modular kernel and to
| separate the "initial boot" disk from the "driver modules" disk, much
| like any Linux installer does.

It's already a plan to modularize it.

Well, I am getting interested enough that I plan to play with it this weekend. The 2.6 kernel seems to have some facilities which simply autodetecting hardware and loading drivers (e.g., sysfs, improved hotplug/coldplug infrastructure). I am still doing research, though.

Maybe gentoo linux is a good place to get some hints... I think they already use this feature on their install disks.

At the beginnig of 2002 we tried out the dosemu stuff. But dosemu
couldn't start the winnt.exe. This was an issue at this time. Maybe
this is fixed yet (does anybody knows?).

It was fixed during the summer of 2002:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?m=102765548220451

(Read the thread for details...  The fixes made it into the Linux
kernel and dosemu shortly thereafter.)

That's great! Installing Windows with only one reboot ;)
I will play with this next weekend...

Between Linux, dosemu, and FreeDOS, I believe we can provide a completely free infrastructure for installing Windows, which is a very pleasing concept :-).

- Pat

I agree completely!

Till

--