Steffen Kaiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to compile the linuxboot disk:
>
> $ make download
> $ make
>
> [... stuff ...]
> mkdir -p stage1/usr/sbin/ ; cp -f dmidecode-2.4/dmidecode
> stage1/usr/sbin/dmidecode.tmp ; strip stage1/usr/sbin/dmidecode.tmp ;
> mv stage1/usr/sbin/dmidecode.tmp stage1/usr/sbin/dmidecode
> make: stat:dosemu-20040606/configure: Too many levels of symbolic links
> make: *** No rule to make target `dosemu-20040606/configure', needed
> by `build-dosemu-20040606/config.status'.  Stop.

You have found a bug in the "download" target for CVS checkouts; it
does not correctly detect failures.  Fixed in next release.

> I guess the reason is that you've download both via CVS

[snip]

> I have no direct connection to the internet from the host I want to
> built unattend on, so this fails

The CVS anonymous server does not use normal Web proxies.  See
<http://www.google.com/search?q=cvs+pserver+proxy>.

The latest release of glibc is only available from CVS.  The latest
release of dosemu did not yet build on Fedora Core 2 when I was
rolling Unattended 4.3.  I am not sure what to tell you.

> Another suggestion for customizing the linux boot image.  For those
> dumb end users like myself, for whom the pre-made linux boot iso is
> working, but the share data is "unhappy", e.g. other server, name,
> account info, it would be nice, when this information could be
> injected into the ready image. I currently load the iso into VI,
> search for "ntserver" and patch my share info over it. As long as
> the name is not longer than the default one, it works fine.

I take it you cannot set option 233 on your DHCP server?

> How about to put this information into a separate file, say
> "/etc/unattend.conf"; make it a 512 Byte file, in order to ensure
> there is enough space for all the information and it fits into one
> block of data in the iso image; place same magic line into line #0
> (in order to find the file's data block within the iso image
> easily); and have there all the data defined, e.g. Z_USER, Z_PASS
> and Z_PATH.

I am skeptical that many users will be attacking the ISO image with a
binary editor :-).  But I suppose there is no harm putting our
defaults in isolinux.cfg and adding some whitespace at the end...

 - Pat