[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I am launching a massive deployment for a High School in New
> Jersey. I am trying to use a Dell Rackmount Windows 2003 Server to
> hold the files (to get around the 10 simultaneous connection limit
> in XPPro). The server gives me an error, which I have come to find
> means that I need to enable SMB Message signing, a feature which I
> believe is part of the LDAP/Kerberos features in Samba.

Lewis is correct.

The Linux smbfs client uses a very old version of the SMB protocol; it
functions like Windows 95 or Windows 3.1 or something.  It does not
support SMB signing.

Microsoft introduced SMB signing in Windows NT 4.0 SP3, so it is not
exactly new.  But it was only in Server 2003 that they changed the
default configuration to require, not just permit, signing.

The relevant registry key is "RequireSecuritySignature" under
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters.  They
changed the default from 0 to 1 in Server 2003.  If you can tolerate
the (relatively minor) security implications, you can change it back
and get things working right away.

If you are like me, you are reluctant to tamper with defaults except
when absolutely necessary.  In that case, we will need to get the
Linux CIFS client working.  This modern client is bundled with Linux
2.6, and I even had Unattended working with it once.  But it was slow
as molasses and a little unstable.  So I saw no reason to make it our
default, yet.

In the next release, maybe we could try the CIFS client when smbfs
fails.  Or maybe we could have a boot-time option to let you pick
which client to use.

Sean, can you do me a favor?  After the boot disk fails, try running:

It should prompt you for the password.  If not, you can append
",password=..." to the command.

Then try "ls /z" to make sure it can access the share.

If this works, let me know, and I will see what I can do for you in
the next release.  How soon do you need this?

 - Pat