"Bunting, Glen, IG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have two question/problems.
>
> 1.    I am successfully able to run unattended using a dos floppy with
> an add on NIC (e10b).  This is on a Compaq/HP DL360/380 G3.  However
> when I try to do the same thing with the linux boot cd, it is unable to
> recognize the hard drive.  I Get an error message that states:
>
> Found no hard drives (amiraid/ar0 ataraid/d0 cciss/c0d0 iz0/had ida/c0d0
> rd/c0d0 had sda hdc) under /sys/block
> Your /sys/block contains ram0 - ram 15.
>
> How can I get the linux boot up cd to recognize the hard drives?

Is this using a Compaq RAID?

My script to decide which drivers to load was buggy.  Please try
4.4-test4 at <http://unattended.sourceforge.net/testing/> and let me
know if it works any better.

Failing that, please send me the output of this command:

    lspci -n | grep 'Class 01'

> 2. When I use the dos boot disk on the same servers as above with
> the integrated gig NICs, I am able to get the DHCP address, but then
> the server hangs.  It is not able to go any further.  It displays
> the ip address and the MAC address and that's all.  When I try to do
> the same thing with the linux boot disk, I am able to make the
> connection, I just can't see the hard drives.  Why does the dos
> startup hang, but the linux startup work?  This is using the Tigon
> chip, b57, choice for dos and that is what linux cd autodetect.

Basically, FreeDOS is broken six ways to Sunday.  But we cannot
distribute MS-DOS.  You can copy the files to your own MS-DOS based
disk, or you can try messing with the UMB providers in config.sys.
(Using umbpci.sys instead of emm386.exe, or *neither*, might help.)

I would rather work with you to fix our Linux boot disk.

 - Pat