React to this statement: "We may need to move away from prescribing

activities and groupings that may or may not meet students needs and move
toward

maximizing the time students have to be apprentices to more proficient
readers

and writers, to practice their skills and strategies, and to receive

individualized guidance in their learning."

I bought To Understand this summer and began reading it in July. I only got
through the first two chapters and I was so overwhelmed with how deep all of
this is. It was very much how I felt after reading Mosaic of Thought. After
being in the classroom for 11 years, I decided to take a position as reading
coach. I only stayed in the position for two years before I returned to the
classroom as a 6th grade reading teacher at another school.  I won't lie and
say that my time as a reading coach was easy because it was not. However it
was a position that really forced me to test my thinking about reading
instruction K-up. It was very interesting to get to see how reading
instruction works and sometimes doesn't work when you can see it happening
from Kindergarten up. One of the areas of instruction I was constantly
"called on the carpet" about as a reading coach was the amount of time
students spent at centers. When I read the statement above it really made me
pause and consider why some teachers feel so frustrated and are seeing very
little results because they are so focused on "doing" reading workshop
instead of teaching. It makes me wonder how much of this we as teachers
bring on ourselves. When I went back into the classroom last year as a 6th
grade reading teacher, I made a decision to really try and set up my reading
time so that as many minutes as I could spare were spent in "real" reading.
This meant that I didn't use centers with my children at all. 2-3 days a
week I did whole group lessons in which I modeled a strategy and then
students practiced this with their own reading. I felt it was the most
successful year I've ever had as a teacher. In fact I feel that I'm
struggling this year because I am being forced to use a new basal series
that was purchased for K-6. I guess I said everything above to say
this-Ellin is really making me think HARD about why I do what I do with the
students I have. I know that sometimes I tend to want to give in to what is
"expected" instead of doing what's right for my students. I'm really looking
forward to getting further into the book. I'm especially interested in the
Literacy Studio model.

Angie Kelley

Anniston, AL

[EMAIL PROTECTED]