I know I am reading this late. Over Thanksgiving break I am trying to catch up with my saved email on the To Understand List and reviewing the book. This post reminds me of my first experiences with Constructivism. When I went to college I learned Behaviorism in the late 70s. Then when I did my Master's degree in the late 90s I had a professor who taught the foundations course and had us learning about educational theory. I didn't even know what constructivism was. She taught in a constructivist way. She was creating an online museum of educational theory and we each had to choose an artifact to create for the museum highlighting one of the three theories that we were learning about (Behaviorism, Information Processing, and Constructivism). I chose Constructivism and learned SO much. I felt empowered. I knew what I wanted to learn and put so much into it. It was exciting.

Another friend of mine tells the story of her first experience of construtivism. She was doing an independent study with a professor and went in to talk about what she should do. She was shocked that the professor just ASKED her what she wanted to learn! She was expecting to hear about a list of readings, papers, and en exam. At first she felt like the professor was a slacker. Why should she pay for a course where she was doing ALL of the work! Hmmmm

Janice