Marco,

I still remember the Univac I which had memory tubes about the size of your
fist (The Univac II used core).  The 1401 however, was a fully
transistorized computer.  It used core memory which ranged in size from 1400
to 16,000 6 bit bytes.  (Unicode on 6 bit machines is another challenge).

You are right about font files being big.  However, there is no Unicode font
so you have the same large font files even without Unicode.  Large font
files is why some printers have there own disk drives.

Part of the reason that Unicode implementations are so large is that we need
translation tables to maintain compatibility with old code pages.  Eliminate
these code pages and we reduce the size of the Unicode implementation.  At
least Windows is going in the right direction.  All future scripts will be
Unicode only.  This way they don't have to carry the other baggage.

People may talk about line breaking, collation, fonts etc. being resource
hogs.  In actuality you need the same resources for code page systems as
well.  With Unicode however you get to reuse some of these resources if you
support multiple scripts.

The limit for systems like Windows were systems like the Arabic/French
systems.  Beyond that you really need to use Unicode or you will have a real
code bloat.  Unicode is the only practical solution for multi-lingual
systems.

Carl