A word ending in A *or* AA preceding a word beginning in A *or* AA will all coalesce to a single AA in Sanskrit. That's four possibilities, and that doesn't count a word ending in a consonant preceding a word beginning in AA, which would be written the same. My memory is rusty, so I should actually be looking things up, but I think these are valid constructions:

न + अगच्छत्  →  नागच्छत्
न + आगच्छत्  → नागच्छत्

(and indeed, आगच्छत् is the upasarga आ plus अगच्छत्, so there too the A + AA coalesced.) I should probably find you examples for all the other possibilities. Sanskrit external vowel sandhi is comparatively straightforward (compared to consonant sandhi), and it frequently loses information. A *or* AA plus I is E; A *or* AA plus U is O (you need A + O to get AU).

~mark