Julian Bradfield wrote,

>> consists of three recognizable symbols.  An "M", a superscript
>> "r", and an equal sign (= two lines).  It can be printed, handwritten,
>
> That's not true. The squiggle under the r is a squiggle - it is a
> matter of interpretation (on which there was some discussion a hundred
> messages up-thread or so :) whether it was intended to be = .

I recall Asmus pointing out that the Z-like squiggle was likely a handwritten "=" and that there was some agreement to this, but didn't realize that it was in dispute.  FWIW, I agree that the squiggle which looks kind of like "こ" is simply the cursive, stylistic variant of "=", especially when written quickly.

> Just as it is a matter of interpretation whether the superscript and
> squiggle were deeply meaningful to the writer, or whether they were
> just a stylistic flourish for Mr.

A third possibility is that the double-underlined superscript was a writing/spelling convention of the time for writing/spelling abbreviations.

Even if someone produced contemporary Polish manuscripts abbreviating magister as "Mr", it could be argued that the two writers were simply using different conventions.