Paul Albrecht wrote:
If you're unconvinced that the liveCD scenario is normative check out
the unionfs home page which lists projects presently using unionfs.

But maybe the reason why people use unionfs mostly for liveCDs
is precisely because it is not ready for other applications yet.
The original design included several other uses.  See e.g. "Unified
Home Directories" in http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/7714/print
(this has the same requirements as my application).

If it is too hard to support all scenarios in a single code base,
that's perfectly fine, but then I need another stacking filesystem.

Pascal