The Ruby group (URUG) moved from mailman to Google Groups and it was a
mostly smooth transition.  I know of other lists that use Google Groups as a
front-end to ease the load on their list app instance.

You can subscribe and unsubscribe without ever having to create a Google
account if you wish, just send an email to one of the following email
accounts:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I prefer Google Groups to Yahoo or MSN, and even to the privately hosted
lists.  The search is much better and its easier for me to manage my
subscriptions.  I'd welcome the change.

~Mike