I have recently been in contact with AccuWeather.com to explore the
possibility of using their services for weather data.

AccuWeather.com's services are used in one of the most popular Firefox
add-ons: ForecastFox. If you are unfamiliar with AccuWeather you can visit
http://www.accuweather.com/

AccuWeather.com's people have been very friendly and nice to work with and
have setup an XML weather service for uPortal to use in the weather portlet.
An example:
http://uport.accu-weather.com/widget/uport/weather-data.asp?location=16803&metric=1

Use of their service in the weather portlet would require an AccuWeather
logo and a link back to their site. The feed would be available without
permission for all non-commercial users assuming they retain the logo and
link back. They would like any commercial users to contact AccuWeather for
permission to use the data. They said that commercial users are generally
not a concern unless they are a large commercial user that could cause an
overload to their servers.

AccuWeather has *extensive* international coverage of weather as well
as *extensive
*weather data and they seem to be very willing to work with us.

I would really like to use AccuWeather's service but I'm not sure the
commercial aspects would be acceptable to have this portlet included in UP3
hence the reason for this post.

What does everyone else think?

--
Join your friends and colleagues at JA-SIG 2008 - "Higher Education Solutions:
The Community Source Way!"

Featuring CAS, DSpace, Fedora, Fluid, Internet2, Kuali, Sakai, uPortal, and
more!
Information/Registration at:
http://www.ja-sig.org/conferences/08spring/index.html

You are currently subscribed to uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org as: [EMAIL