Jen,
The data provided is far superior to any other service that I've seen, I was
really impressed when I first saw it. The API for getting locations is *also
really* nice IMO. You can see an example here:
http://uport.accu-weather.com/widget/uport/city-find.asp?location=london .
The location string can take many types of values (zipcode, city, city and
country).

Jim,
My goal right now is to create the portlet to be as pluggable as possible. I
kind of envision it boiling down to implementing one interface (WeatherDao),
however I may run into some dependencies between the view and the
implemented service. I came up with a rough design that is already sitting
in the trunk (https://www.ja-sig.org/svn/sandbox/WeatherPortlet/trunk/) but
it is going to need some more adjusting I'm sure. I am entirely open to
suggestions on a pluggable design if anyone has any!

On Feb 13, 2008 8:22 PM, Jim Helwig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't see a logo or link back as a problem. Since our primary focus is
higher education, I don't see the fact that commercial users need to contact
AccuWeather as a problem. From the sounds of it, this seems like a good
option.

> It would be nice to see if this portlet could be implemented in a way that
one could fairly easily plug in alternative weather feeds if they were
concerned about this.

http://uport.accu-weather.com/widget/uport/weather-data.asp?location=16803&metric=1
> > <
http://uport.accu-weather.com/widget/uport/weather-data.asp?location=16803&metric=1

> > Use of their service in the weather portlet would require an AccuWeather
> > logo and a link back to their site. The feed would be available without
> > permission for all non-commercial users assuming they retain the logo
> > and link back. They would like any commercial users to contact
> > AccuWeather for permission to use the data. They said that commercial
> > users are generally not a concern unless they are a large commercial
> > user that could cause an overload to their servers.
> >
> > AccuWeather has /extensive/ international coverage of weather as well as
> > /extensive /weather data and they seem to be very willing to work with
us.

> > I would really like to use AccuWeather's service but I'm not sure the
> > commercial aspects would be acceptable to have this portlet included in
> > UP3 hence the reason for this post.
> >
> > What does everyone else think?
> >
> > --
> > You are currently subscribed to uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org as:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> --
> Join your friends and colleagues at JA-SIG 2008 - "Higher Education
Solutions: The Community Source Way!"

http://www.ja-sig.org/conferences/08spring/index.html