From: "Bruce Tong" <zzt...@gmail.com>
To: uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org
Cc: "jasig-ue" <jasig...@lists.ja-sig.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:31:26 AM
Subject: Re: [uportal-dev] Recommend SASS for CSS development

I'm not familiar with it, so my perspective on SASS could be
completely ludicrous. When I see technologies strongly suited to the
graphic arts become more programmatic, I worry that the skill set
related to it might move from those people to programmers. We already
program in something like four languages and there is an industry-wide
shortage of programmers. Does SASS raise the bar further or can
persons of the graphic arts be as equally effective with it as CSS? If
it does raise the bar, does a more programmatic approach really take
the industry where it needs to go? I don't want to resist change -- I
might find SASS to be really cool -- though I do worry about the big
picture not just for uPortal, but other applications as well that
universities develop, maintain, and deploy. I'm curious about your
perspectives.

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Gary Thompson <g...@unicon.net> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I heard about SASS (http://sass-lang.com/) not long ago, and had an
> opportunity to use it in the recent uPortal Mobile work. In my opinion, SASS
> is CSS Awesome. It is everything that CSS development should be, and makes
> CSS truly programmatic with things like variables, mixins, loops, and
> functions. I will be using SASS for all my future CSS development. I'd like
> to recommend using SASS for uPortal CSS development.
>
> Impacts to uPortal:
>
> For front-end developers, an uptake of SASS. Source code "CSS" would be done
> in SASS. SASS exports to pure CSS, which would be the uPortal skins. SASS
> runs on Ruby. CSS development and maintenance becomes *much* easier.
>
> For portal adopters, the impact is probably nothing. Adopters would be
> working with the resultant CSS file (and likely never interface with SASS),
> and any customizations to a skin would be done in the same manner as before.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Gary
>
> --
>
> You are currently subscribed to uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org as: