On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 23:57:14 +0100, Vesa Meskanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello,

You say _brute-force_. Are there other methods that can be used? I know the game industry is looking into approaches made available with DX10. Then again, not sure if it deals with selfshadowing or "just simple" volumetrics, haven't really looked into it.

I guess if you have any knowledge - in advance - of the nature of the fog, you can save majority of the computations. For example, if the fog is so thick that rays penetrate only a fraction of the average thickness, the approach of stepping into the volume until some limit value is reached is much quicker. And there's no limit how much you can 'fake' or precompute an effect. The more parameters you fix, the quicker it gets. The final limit is a pre-rendered image, which can be shown instantaneously:)

Best regards,

Vesa

Hi Vesa, list,

Would that be possible in V5 VSL already? 'Smart volume sampling', I like the sound of it ;)

Thanks for going into this & happy clouds,

Mark Heuymans