Hi Garry

Sorry don't know what happened in last post.  I typed a reply, but it was
gone when it arrived in the user list ? :(

Basically you need to turn off the safety tab in rendering/post settings.

Set all cpu threads to be used in the rendering settings and set post
processing per image for low resolution (e.g. PAL or NTSC)

The safety tab is for when you use post per box as it renders four times the
area per box to allow seamless blending when the boxes get stitched at the
end of the render.  That's why renders can take so long with this on.

Setting post to per image negates this, but the downside is only one cpu can
complete the post processing stage.  We have asked for multiple cpu's for
post processing in v6.

For high res GI images of 4000 pix or more I suggest you use per box post
processing (still with safety off) with GI blur slightly higher than normal.
The max ram limit of 3-4 gigs can cause problems when the post processing
stage begins and you can run out of ram at this kind of resolution.  You
will get the 'unable to allocate ram' error as there is no space for all the
post image channels to be loaded into physical ram.  Painful after a 12 hour
render that seemed to be going well.  Don't set 'backup render' for this
option either as even with per box post realsoft still saves the entire
image r3d file which will fail in post the same way.

With the resolution this high the box seams are less obvious between boxes
and can be easily fixed in photoshop.

Hope this is of use

Regards

Jason

> Hi Garry,
> I don't understand why you're only using 1 CPU with gi rendering. Why
> don't you use per box post processing?
> Arjo.

Hi Arjo :

 I have had no luck with that .

 For instance , I just downloaded the alien/ufo benchmark again and
tried box rendering the Gi postprocessing , it takes over an hour
to do . Select "Effect/Image" and it does it rather quickly , but
just 1 CPU is working for the Gi .
http://www.realsoft.fi/updates/benchmark

 I guess I must be doing something obviously very wrong , considering
the benchmark scores for the "UFO" . No idea what's wrong , and I
just gave up on it a few years ago and kept using "Effect/Image"
which works perfectly every time .

Windows XP (sp1/sp2)
RS V5sp3
Dual Xeon 3.2 Ghz

  Please forgive my stupidity . It's been a while since I've hit
the Gi render button and perhaps the cobwebs are thicker than
thermal paste .

garry