Arjo :

I have to redefine the "dummy" materials. I never found it a big
deal to drop a new texture object in the material editor.

 The purpose of this thread was to determine if the .OBJ
module was possibly not working at 100% . I think we both
agree it isn't , so maybe it could be mentioned on the
beta-list . The code appears to be there - not executing .

I think the Obj exporter should export .mtl files to make it
possible to export material definitions.

As far as the interchanging of material definitions between programs
go , Timo already answered your question and also provided links to
exactly how that is being accomplished in other S/W's through the .MTL format (COL/SPEC/TRANS/BUMP via .TGA/BMP is also an option) .

garry

For all the other possibilities to create materials I can't imagine how you
could exchange them. Building materials is so very different in various
applications. Each one has its own possibilities. So how would you want to
exchange material features from a certain application to Realsoft when it
doesn't support those features?
Arjo