Yes that must be mine, I generated that image in World Machine to see if it's better than .bmp for bump/displacement mapping (conversion in HDRshop and some other SW, forgot the details). It's much better indeed: thanks to HDR's floating point high-precision compared to 255 integer steps in the bmp. One more reason for RS to make this an integral part of the software...

Hi Mark :

 Yes , HDRI seems to work very well for displacements .

RS wasn't really designed for landscaping but it's so flexible that much is possible if you stretch it a bit ;) I'll dig up some of these projects and re-install World Machine and the conversion SW to see if I can replicate the pipeline.

 Threw your HDRI displacement project on the server , for now .
http://www.studiodynamics.net/list/HDRdisplacement.zip   780KB

garry

 I have a project file (no readme.txt) that shows an HDRI
image for displacement mapping . Is that yours ? Where did
you get the bitmap ? Any info to share on this ?
cheers
garry

Yes that must be mine, I generated that image in World Machine to see if it's better than .bmp for bump/displacement mapping (conversion in HDRshop and some other SW, forgot the details). It's much better indeed: thanks to HDR's floating point high-precision compared to 255 integer steps in the bmp. One more reason for RS to make this an integral part of the software...

Landscapes with a low-res smooth mesh and a hi-res HDR displacement map can be very nice and detailed, and the choking on big meshes is avoided. But avoid to get the camera too close: black-edged artifacts can pop up at the edges :(

RS wasn't really designed for landscaping but it's so flexible that much is possible if you stretch it a bit ;) I'll dig up some of these projects and re-install World Machine and the conversion SW to see if I can replicate the pipeline.

cheers,
Mark