On Friday 18 November 2005 08:17, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Friday 18 November 2005 01:08, Blaisorblade wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 November 2005 14:36, Rob Landley wrote:
> > > Linus said this:

Btw, where does this quote come from?

> [...]

I don't quite get this +2/+5 discussion.

> > Definitely Jeff's tree is a first filter for his work, but I've not seen
> > it working a lot as a collector, especially for little fixes - but there
> > it makes sense.

> > I tend to send directly to Andrew and he forwards them to Linus (in many
> > cases so fast that I wonder if they appear in one -mm release), but I
> > currently do not have a public tree.

> So there currently _is_ no one UML tree that people interested in the most
> recent UML developments can check out.  We basically have to wait until it
> hits mainline.

Patches go in -mm first. Currently Andrew is often very quick at merging them.

Also, fixups tend to have less needs for testing - and they're often
backported to -bs.

Also, I don't tend to merge big patches without first checking.

> That's sad.  I think I'll stick with Jeff's tree as the closest I've come
> so far...

> > > And applied them all (in series order) with a for loop.
> >
> > Can I suggest using quilt for this (as it's more powerful and easy to
> > use)?
> >
> > Especially when you add other patches as compile fixups...

> I'm not applying the other patches at the moment.  Right now I'm just
> trying to get Jeff's tree to build for me.

Which means applying your own fixups.

> If I have time tonight I'm
> going to cherry-pick his patch list to see which ones I can get to compile,
> and give him the list of each one that breaks my build (and how).

I suggest quilt exactly because it automates one big task - managing the
stacks of applied and unapplied patches. Will "patch" suggest you which patch
is the top one? Quilt will. That's why I suggest you to try it.

> I just
> mentioned that #2 of the recent 4 sent to Andrew broke the build for me,
> but that's not the only breakage I see from Jeff's tree.  (I currently have
> access to four different build environments.  I was focusing on the PLD
> x86-64 system I'm borrowing, but right now I'm focusing on my ubuntu
> laptop.  Then knoppix, and then my Linux From Scratch system with gcc 4.0.2
> and uClibc...

> Expect to be hearing from me a lot. :)

No problem... just be patient for fixes. And IMHO you shouldn't feel so shy
about fixing such compile problems (no complaining!) I don't expect you to
debug the stub problems, but the rest should be easier to work with.
--
Inform me of my mistakes, so I can keep imitating Homer Simpson's "Doh!".
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade (Skype ID "PaoloGiarrusso", ICQ 215621894)