On Sunday 20 November 2005 00:40, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Rob Landley wrote:
> > was going on.  (And #2 was the case: once I found out it was the 0 length
> > files, I could fix that.  I didn't expect 0 length files screwing up the
> > #include search paths.  The #include search paths are confusing, I'm
> > still a bit fuzzy on the difference between include and include2,
> > actually...)

> 0-length files after patching is generally due to slightly incorrectly
> formatted patches, and can screw up a lot of things.

> From the patch man page:

>    you can remove a file by sending out a context diff that compares
>    the file to be deleted with an empty file dated the Epoch.  The
>    file will be removed unless patch is conforming to POSIX and the
>    -E or --remove-empty-files option is not given.

> A few other formats also works, but what is said above is the safest patch
> format for removal of files.

> If you find patches which removes files using a format not complying with
> the above then it may be wise to ask the person who published the patch to
> change his routines to make correctly formatted patches. On the sad side
> there is a number of widespread tools not generating such patches
> correctly (CVS is one.. have a cleanpatch script at devel.squid-cache.org
> fixing this and a few other CVS diff -u stupidities)

Hmm, quilt, git (and IIRC BitKeeper) don't comply with the above format, but
they use /dev/null and it seems to work in practice. Jeff's version of quilt
seems to be broken on this (he said he's using 0.32).

> Regarding the include path, Compliers, make etc just searches their paths
> until a file is found, no attempt in verifying the validity of the file is
> made. If the found file is empty then in the input at that stage is
> empty, and if the actual file which was supposed to be found is in a later
> element in the search path then you get screwed.

This case is a little different as I already explained...

In this case the 0-lenght file, when missing, would trigger make "building
it" (i.e. creating it as a symlink with correct content).

--
Inform me of my mistakes, so I can keep imitating Homer Simpson's "Doh!".
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade (Skype ID "PaoloGiarrusso", ICQ 215621894)