On Friday 09 December 2005 19:39, Antoine Martin wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 18:52 +0100, Blaisorblade wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 December 2005 03:13, Antoine Martin wrote:
> > > I'm still trying to get a regular FC4 image to boot with the latest x86
> > > tls support code.
> >
> > Mainline kernel or with jdike patchset?

> Latest jdike from sf

> > > (since Gentoo works fine)
> > > but this is what I get:
> > > # fsck.ext3 -a /dev/ubda
> > > set_thread_area failed when setting up thread-local storage
> > > Segmentation fault

> > > Is this glibc? Any ideas?

> > Yes, I see that on Debian Sarge too. Don't ask me why fsck uses thread,
> > but it seems to do that.

> I wasn't even thinking about that! So true, why on earth would fsck
> require threading!?

> > Also, different glibc are more or less happy in using modify_ldt() rather
> > than set_thread_area() - it seems that latter is better.

> Ahh, is it planned
What?
> or do I have to make heavily modified distro images?
I'm not suggesting that...

And, hold on this - Jeff has made a big progress on this, diagnosing what had
been happening.

I'm not sure how well it works, but in the incrementals page there's the new
result. Give it a run and tell us the result, if it works it might go in
2.6.15-bs and 2.6.16.
--
Inform me of my mistakes, so I can keep imitating Homer Simpson's "Doh!".
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade (Skype ID "PaoloGiarrusso", ICQ 215621894)