From: Richard Grossman [mailto:richie...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2010 3:37 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Running Cassandra as a Windows Service

Hello

Why not using Java Wrapper Service?
http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/download.jsp
You can configure any java process as real windows services instead of batch
files

Richard
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Kochheiser,Todd W - TO-DITT1
<twkochhei...@bpa.gov<mailto:twkochhei...@bpa.gov>> wrote:
For various reasons I am required to deploy systems on Windows.  As such, I
went looking for information on running Cassandra as a Windows service.  I've
read some of the user threads regarding running Cassandra as a Windows service,
such as this one:

        http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg01656.html

I also found the following JIRA issue:

As it didn't look like anyone has contributed a formal solution and having some
experience using Apache's Procrun
(http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html), I decided to go ahead and
write a batch script and a simple "WindowsService" class to accomplish the
task.  The WindowsService class only makes calls to public methods in
CassandraDeamon and is fairly simple.  In combination with the batch script, it
is very easy to install and remove the service.  At this point, I've installed
Cassandra as a Windows service on XP (32 bit), Windows 7 (64 bit) and Windows
Server 2008 R1/R2 (64 bit).  It should work fine on other version of Windows
(2K, 2K3).

Questions:

1.       Has anyone else already done this work?
2.       If not, I wouldn't mind sharing the code/script or contributing it
back to the project.  Is there any interest in this from the Cassandra dev team
or the user community?

Ideally the WindowsService could be included in the distributed source/binary
distributions (perhaps in a contrib area) as well as the batch script and
associated procrun executables.  Or, perhaps it could be posted to a Cassandra
community site (is there one?).

Todd