oh yeah, one more BIG one.....in memory writes with asynch write-behind to
disk like cassandra does for speed.

So if you have atomic locking, it writes to the primary node(memory) and
some other node(memory) and returns with success to the client.  asynch
then writes to disk later.  This prove to be very fast and 2 machines make
it pretty reliable and of course it is asynchronously writing to that third
or fourth machine depending on replication factor.

later,
Dean