Brian, did any of your issues with java 7 result in corrupting data in
cassandra?

We just ran into an issue after upgrading a test cluster from Cassandra
1.1.5 and Oracle JDK 1.6.0_29-b11 to Cassandra 1.1.7 and 7u10.

What we saw is values in columns with validation
Class=org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.LongType that were proper integers
becoming corrupted so that they become stored as strings.  I don't have
a reproducible test case yet but will work on making one over the holiday
if I can.

For example, a column with a long type that was originally written and
stored properly (say with value 1200) was somehow changed during cassandra
operations (compaction seems the only possibility) to be the value '1200'
with quotes.

The data was written using the phpcassa library and that application and
library haven't been changed.  This has only happened on our test cluster
which was upgraded and hasn't happened on our live cluster which was not
upgraded.  Many of our column families were affected and all affected
columns are Long (or bigint for cql3).

Errors when reading using CQL3 command client look like this:

Failed to decode value '1356441225' (for column 'expires') as bigint:
unpack requires a string argument of length 8

and when reading with cassandra-cli the error is

[default@cf] get
token['fbc1e9f7cc2c0c2fa186138ed28e5f691613409c0bcff648c651ab1f79f9600b'];
=> (column=client_id, value=8ec4c29de726ad4db3f89a44cb07909c04f90932d,
timestamp=1355836425784329, ttl=648000)
A long is exactly 8 bytes: 10

-Bryan