If were to run a fork it would do one thing:

"Cassandra is a highly scalable, eventually consistent, distributed,
structured key-value store. Cassandra brings together the distributed
systems technologies from
Dynamo<http://s3.amazonaws.com/AllThingsDistributed/sosp/amazon-dynamo-sosp2007.pdf>and
the data model from Google's
BigTable <http://research.google.com/archive/bigtable-osdi06.pdf>. Like
Dynamo, Cassandra is eventually
consistent<http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2008/12/eventually_consistent.html>.
Like BigTable <http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/BigTable>, Cassandra
provides a ColumnFamily <http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ColumnFamily>-based
data model richer than typical key/value systems."

I would provide an interface to access ColumnFamily based data models. In
other words, I would provide the Cassandra 0.8 API :)