From: Benedict Elliott Smith <belliottsm...@datastax.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:56 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: memtable mem usage off by 10?

If you are storing small values in your columns, the object overhead is very
substantial. So what is 400Mb on disk may well be 4Gb in memtables, so if you
are measuring the memtable size by the resulting sstable size, you are not
getting an accurate picture. This overhead has been reduced by about 90% in the
upcoming 2.1 release, through tickets
6271<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-6271>,
6689<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-6689> and
6694<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-6694>.