I’ve supported a variety of different “big data” systems and most have their
own particular set of use cases that make sense. Having said that, I believe
that Cassandra uniquely excels at the following:

* Low write latency with respect to small to medium write sizes (logs, sensor
data, etc.)
* Linear write scalability
* Fault-tolerance across geographic locations

The first two points makes it an excellent candidate for high-throughput
“transactional” systems. Other systems that play in this space tend to be HBase
and Riak (there may be others, but I’m most familiar with those two). However,
the last point is pretty unique to Cassandra.

So if you’re looking for a high-scale out, high-throughput transactional system
then Cassandra may make sense for you. If you’re looking for something more
geared towards analytics (so few bulk writes, many reads), then something in
the Hadoop space may make sense.

Cheers
James