Hi Or,

You don't have another machine on the network that would temporarily be
able to host your /var/lib/cassandra content? That way you would simply be
scp:ing the files temporarily to another machine and copy them back when
done. You obviously want to do a repair afterwards just in case, but this
could save you some time.

Just an idea,
Jens

--