I think it's more accurate that to say that auto paging prevents one type
of OOM. It's premature to diagnose it as 'not happening'.

What is heap usage when you start? Are you storing your data on EBS? What
kind of write throughput do you have going on at the same time? What errors
do you have in the cassandra logs before this crashes?

--

Thanks,
Ryan Svihla